Amphigory Alley

A collection of mostly nonsense and rigmarole, with apparent meaning, which on further attention proves to be meaningless.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rookie of the Year

First of all, congratulations to DJ and Eric on the birth of their little cowgirl! They are sure to be the best rookie parents of the year and deserve all kinds of accolades and accompanying brouhaha. However, the title of this post refers to the New York Liberty's Sherill Baker, and if you have not seen her play, you need to find a way to get to Madison Square Garden and cheer her on. She's phenomenal!

My sister, Citizen-C, also a capable baller, is Sherill's biggest fan. She and Sherill's older brother were classmates and friends, and C-Lovely and Sherill used to play pickup games when Sherill was just in junior high (but still dominated anyone who dared step on her court). C wore #22, which Sherill adopted for her own in high school, and after Sherill's amazing performance at GACS, the number was retired. When I moved back to Atlanta and started teaching voice at the school, Sherill was playing varsity. Ever the basketball lovers, my family and I cheered her on at almost every game. C was Sherill's staunchest supporter, and we traveled to Macon to watch her dominate in the state tournament and lead her team to a championship (or two?). C and I were also front and center at the Naismith Awards, at which Sherill was named Miss Georgia Basketball. We even made the trek to Chattanooga for the Georgia/Tennessee girls basketball allstar game, for which C had made her own "Go Sherill" T-shirt.

Fast forward a few years. Sherill has finished up school at UGA (where she broke records and performed impressively in spite of the fact that Andy Landers didn't really know what to do with her), and like me, she's found her way to New York. Unlike me, she was drafted by a WNBA team and has a job doing what she loves. Also unlike me, she has an agent!!! Who gets her work in Italy!!! Anyway, while I wish that my operatic career more closely paralleled her basketball career, it is an undeniable fact that Sherill Baker rocks! And I, wearing my autographed Sherill Baker Liberty #10 Jersey, am going to see her play tomorrow night at Madison Square Garden! She is amassing some pretty amazing buzz and some impressive stats, and tomorrow is the last chance to vote to send her to the WNBA AllStar Game (which you can bet I will do). She's definitely my vote for WNBA Rookie of the Year, and all I can say is that the special agent had better get me a ticket to the Beijing 2008 Olympics. I'm betting that Sherill could be on her way to that milestone, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home