Amphigory Alley

A collection of mostly nonsense and rigmarole, with apparent meaning, which on further attention proves to be meaningless.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Grouchy Smurf

Tonight I hate New York. I hate whiny nieghbors with their screaming kids. I hate leering doormen and security guards. I hate the infinite exercise in torturous tedium that passes itself off as my job. I hate Times Square with its tourists walking slowly four abreast. I hate the crappy grocery stores with their half-dead produce and illiterate cashiers and stockers who don't know the meaning of customer service, let alone how and when to employ the phrase, "excuse me." I hate my ass of an associate who tried to blame his utter incompetence on me this afternoon when he forgot to include labels on a chart. I hate loud people on the subway. I hate whoever knocked on my door and left a nasty note this evening while I was singing in the shower. I have to suck up all the noise in this godforsaken apartment building -- your kids, all the running and jumping around, the drummer upstairs, the screaming boys on four, all of the yippy dogs, and the car alarms that go off at 3am. The least you can do is grin and bear it while I finish rehearsing what I have to audition with tomorrow evening. It's called New York. If you can't take it, move to Purchase.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Little Light said…

    I'd rather hear your singing any day over so many other possiblities in the city (blasting salsa at 4am, for one). I can't believe someone had the balls to leave you a note like that.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Merle said…

    I had a day like that recently. Nothing was going quite right, I couldn't sit down and have a moments peace without a siren or screaming or pissy New Yorkers elbowing each other. I was getting a soda a bodega near work and the cashier looked at me sympathetically and asked what was wrong. I told him "I can't stand New York today!" The guy behind me piped up and was having the same exact kind of day... In the words of Audrey, let's dream of "Someplace that's green." I agree with Little Light. Sing us out of this blackness...

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Jay said…

    Wow, honey. This post actually makes me miss New York. So I guess we're never entirely happy, huh.... We certainly have more room here in SF, and checkers and stockers are nice, and you can get cash back from your purchases at Walgreens, but it's still loud downstairs when the bar lets out and at 5:00 am when the workers get on the construction site across the street. Ah, don't we love city living?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home