Amphigory Alley

A collection of mostly nonsense and rigmarole, with apparent meaning, which on further attention proves to be meaningless.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

True Grits

One would think that you could find a wide variety of grits -- and I do NOT mean the instant kind -- in a Georgia grocery store. However, I discovered on Saturday night that if one assumed this, one would be very wrong. I wanted to serve baked garlic cheese grits, which are delicious, as one of many side dishes at our Christmas Eve dinner. I assumed that procuring grits would be fairly simple. After all, I had made it to the South, where grits are a staple -- right? In actuality, I had to go to three different grocery stores before finding anything other than Quaker instant grits (which you cannot bake and which would not be appropriate to serve as a side), and the only option I finally found was a beaten up box from Aunt Jemima.

In contrast, every New York grocery store offers several types of grits. Odd.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Little Light said…

    I learned to like grits in New York (at the Cowgirl Hall of Fame). Never could take them before that.

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger D.J. said…

    I still haven't learned to like grits, but I might like Opera Barbie's.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home